Every year critics and fans alike love to make lists of the best things that were released during the year. We decided to join in on the fun and we, Master Optician, myself and super_redhead, are doing our first ‘year in review’ lists.
FAVORITE EU NOVELS READ IN 2011:
(Notice that is “read” and not published in 2011)
1. Choices of One- It’s true that I didn’t read all of the EU novels released in 2011. I probably didn’t even read most of them (I missed Conviction, Ascension, and Shadow Games, at least). For more money, though, you can’t go wrong with Zahn. While some of his later novels were not his best, there’s no denying that the Thrawn trilogy is three of the best novels in the EU. He had a particularly strong return to form with this novel. Set between episodes IV and V, this novel has intrigue, intertwining plot threads, and is genuinely suspenseful.
2. Revan- My knowledge of The Old Republic is quite pathetic, but Revan was a lot of fun. It was fun for someone like myself, for example, to delve into the Sith society. Revan is a good, flawed hero, and, unlike some fans, I didn’t hate the Darth Scourge character. Didn’t play the Knights of the Old Republic games? Have no fear! The book is very readable, and goes into a lot of back story you may have missed.
3. Death Troopers- This is the only one on my list not published in 2011. If you missed when it was published in 2009, I recommend you go and pick it up. It’s a horror story. Substitute the haunted old house for a prison barge and you’ll have an idea of how this story works. It’s got a couple of characters from the original trilogy, zombies, and, at a little under 300 pages, it goes by in a blur. Despite all its faults this novel is entertaining as hell.
LOOKING FORWARD TO IN 2011:
1. Darth Plagueis- Oh, man, you know it’s Darth Plagueis. It’s difficult to remember what EU novel has been more anticipated than this one, and it’s easy to see why. Go back and take a look at that cover again. The cover alone is dark, atmospheric and haunting. Plus, it’s got James Luceno, one of the better writers in the EU, at the helm. I’ve stayed away from all the excerpts that have been released, because when January 10th rolls around I want to be experience this novel.
2. The Phantom Menace 3D release- Yeah, I know that this is one of the prequels and that it has Jar-Jar Binks in it. Still, it’s Star Wars on the big screen (even if it is in 3D). For a lot of kids this will be the first time that they’ve seen Star Wars in the theater. Like a lot of you, I’m holding out for 2016, 2017, and 2018 when the originals will be in theaters, but seeing the Maul/Jinn/Kenobi fight on the big screen again will be epic.
3. Continuing to contribute to Knights Archive- This is a bit of a cop out but it’s true. My first review was posted here in July and I’ve been loving every minute of this since. I can’t tell you how much fun it has been getting to know and interact with so many fans. Thanks for helping to make this a great year.